What is a blog?
A blog is originally created from the word Web Log. It is a Web page that contains people’s thoughts, ideas, experiences, and many more. Blogs was first introduced in 1998 with only a few dozens in appearance on the Web, but there are over 152 millions of blogs are in existence nowadays. There are many reasons why blogs have become so popular nowadays and one of the reasons is the simplicity of publishing them, in that there is no need for the author to know HTML (HyperText Markup Language), and there are free blog automated publishing tools such as Blogger and WordPress, that make it easier for anyone to create it. Blogs consist of several posts which are usually displayed in reverse chronological order in that the most recent post appears at the top of the page.
What do people use blogs for?
At the beginning of their existence, blogs were regarded as personal online journals where individuals compiled links and added comments to that links to provide information that interest them. Recently, however, blogging culture has grown to include political campaigns, institutions such as libraries, museums, and virtually any entity that wants to create a community of interest around particular topics. Blogs are also a good way to uncover news that the regular media cannot or will not cover; and have encouraged the trend of “citizen journalism.” Blogs, then, can be authored by one person or a group of people. Readers can usually insert comments, so that it allows interaction between the author of the blog and the readers. So, blog can be an effective interactive tool. Therefore, more and more people from different backgrounds use blogs for various reasons nowadays, including people from educational background to share their knowledge to the world.
Evaluating blog content
Since blogs are easy to publish and anyone can easily publish a blog, it is important for the readers to evaluate the background and qualifications of the authors before relying on the contents of their blogs. Readers should find out whether the author has the expertise on the contents of the blog that she/he has published before relying on the information provided on the blog.
Popular free blog services:
- WordPress: http://www.wordpress.com
- Blogger: http://www.blogger.com
- LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com
Learn more about blog
- Read 7 Things You Should Know About Blogs (from Educause)
- Watch the video: What is a Blog?
Here is a great blog to learn more about blogging:
How to create a blog with Blogger
Since blogger is one of the most popular blog services, I choose this one to share to my students so that they can learn how to create and maintain a blog and use it for the educational purposes. Here are the steps of creating a blog with Blogger:
- If you do not have a Gmail account yet, create one.
- Go to Blogger at https://blogger.com/start and sign in with your Gmail account.
- You are then prompted to create a new blog.
- Then, write the title of the blog, write and choose the address for the blog, and select a template (you can always change it later).
- Once you have created a blog, you can then change the setting, the theme, and the layout of your blog.
- Then, you can create pages and posts.
- Congratulation! You have your blog ready now!